Friday 17 August 2018

Creating a chatbot with IBM Watson

I am taking a MOOC with edX offered by IBM, How to Build Chatbots and Make Money. This two week course suggests investing 2-4 hours a week commitment for the course.

As we have been looking at ideas of AI for assessment when I got to know about this course I was interested in giving it a go. I must say I am impressed how "intelligent" my chatbot "Nikki" is in teasing out natural language and how easy for me to create it with IBM Watson without having to do any coding at all. I am still in third module but really pleased with where I got with the course.

The course asks you to implement a chatbot that can help with delivery questions and suggestions about flowers to buy. But as we all know, educators can be the worst students - I didn't do what they asked me to do. Instead, I created my own chatbot, "Nikki", to be able to answer questions that are listed in University College of Estate Management's FAQ page about Studying with UCEM.

Nikki was able to answer almost all questions relating to the details I have provided her correctly. In fact, colleagues at work have been impressed with how good Nikki was in answering the questions they put to Nikki in tricky language. 

The good thing with IBM Watson chatbot is while doing these chats, if Nikki doesn't get something correct, we can train her in the conversation by selecting the correct response she should have given and then IBM Watson trains itself to get it right the next time.

However, there were instances where Nikki gave hilarious responses. For example, in one instance the dialogue went like this...

         User: I am ill
         Nikki: If your personal circumstances change for any reason, either at home or work in a way that might affect your studies, assignment or exam performance, you should notify us immediately.
[Full marks Nikki!]

         User: death
         Nikki: Great talking to you. Have a good day.

image of chat window showing a conversation with Nikki the chatbot
A conversation with Nikki the chatbot
If someone is dead they can't communicate with you anymore so she ended the conversation. However, I have now taught her to be more empathetic and suggest the same response as for change of personal circumstances as it is more likely to be a death in the family that they are talking about.

I would highly recommend this course if you are looking to get yourself familiar with AI chatbots. However, be warned that the Cloud service they are showing in the screen casts, IBM Watson Conversation, has been updated to IBM Watson Assistant and there are few differences as to what you see in the instructional video and what you see in your actual screen but nothing major to stop you from continuing. It also allows one year of free access to IBM Watson services (Ts and Cs apply) but allows you to learn something new. 



No comments:

Post a Comment